The Half Moon Bay High School Surf Team competes in the Santa Cruz Scholastic Surf League against teams from Aptos, Marin and Santa Cruz. Our high school season typically runs from August thru February with five contests scheduled throughout the season at such breaks as Steamer Lane, Pleasure Point, Manresa and The Hook.
We typically hold 1-2 practices per week depending on conditions, with the majority of practices taking place at various Half Moon Bay surf spots.
The High School Surf Team is broken down into Varsity & Junior Varsity groups. Groups are determined by a try-out at the beginning of each season. Both Varsity and JV surfers are eligible to make the roster for contests where participation is determined by skill level, attendance and attitude.
For the purposes of safety and competition, the requirements of all members of our high school team are as follows:
- Must be able to catch and surf a minimum of 3 waves in 15 minutes
- Capable of doing 3 or more maneuvers proficiently on the open face of a wave
- Capable of paddling out in 5’ surf without bailing board
- Must be registered in High School (9th-12th grade: including home school or any local high school that does not have its own surf team)
MEMBERS OF THE 2021 HALF MOON BAY HIGH SCHOOL SURF TEAM
2021 HIGH SCHOOL SCHEDULE:
- MARCH 6-7 @ PLEASURE POINT
- MARCH 20-21 @ STEAMER LANE
- APRIL 3-4 @ STEAMER LANE
- APRIL 17-18 @ STEAMER LANE
- MAY 1-2 @ PLEASURE POINT
Please note that dates and locations are subject to change. It will be determined on the Wednesday prior to each contest whether the High School Team will compete on Saturday or Sunday pending the surf report.